Applicable to every bulk refuse container (dumpster) or grease trap whether commercial or residential (not limited to food and beverage establishments); all automotive establishments; and all bulk refuse container storage lots.
Requirements & Fees
The fee for a Site Cleanliness License is $50. The complete application must incude:
- Site Cleanliness Application
- A site plan indicating the location of the dumpster and its proximity to abutting properties or public ways;
- The location of any required fencing or screening;
- A maintenance plan and schedule;
- A solid waste proposal plan including a copy of the solid waste disposal contract;
- A rodent/pest control contract;
- And a license from Department of Public Works only if the dumpster is on a public way.
Apply for a Street Occupancy Permit »
Complete applications may be submitted by mail or in person to:
Inspectional Services Department
1010 Massachusetts Avenue, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02118
Directions to the Inspectional Services Department »
Operating or maintaining a bulk refuse container without a license or failing to operate or maintain a licensed dumpster or site in accordance with the terms of an issued license is a violation of the Site Cleanliness Ordinance.
Penalties for violating the Site Cleanliness Ordinance may result in fines of up to $1000 per day and/or closure of the business for repeated violations. Fines issued only after third notice of violation so the first two notices can be used to educate people on proper compliance.