Faneuil Hall has served as a marketplace and a meeting hall since 1742. Funding was provided by a wealthy merchant, Peter Faneuil, for the construction and local artisan to create the grasshopper weather vane that still perches on the building's cupola. Inspirational speeches by Samuel Adams and other patriots were given at Faneuil Hall. These oratories became the footstool for America's desire to obtain independence from the British.
Faneuil Hall was expanded in 1806 by Charles Bulfinch. When Boston became a city the use of Faneuil Hall as a government meeting place came to an end, but it was still regularly used. Today, the first floor is still used as a lively marketplace and the second floor is a meeting hall where many Boston City debates are held. The fourth floor is maintained by the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company.
|Location||Faneuil Hall Square|
|Hours||Open Daily 9AM - 5PM|
|Tours||National Park Service Rangers present historical talks every 1/2 hour from 9:30 - 4:30PM|
More Information via the Freedom Trail Foundation
More Information via Faneuil Hall Marketplace
|Attribution||Content provided by the Freedom Trail Foundation|