Built in 1798, the "new" State House is located across from the Boston Common on the top of Beacon Hill. The land was once owned by Massachusetts first elected governor, John Hancock. Charles Bullfinch, the leading architect of the day, designed the building.
The dome, originally made out of wood shingles, is now sheathed in copper and covered by 23 karat gold which was added to prevent leaks into the State House.
In the House of Representatives chambers hangs a wooden codfish which is called the Sacred Cod. The Sacred Cod signifies the importance of the fishing industry to the Commonwealth. At the top of the golden dome sits a wooden pinecone which symbolizes logging in Boston during the 18th century.
|Location||Intersection of Beacon and Park Streets|
|Hours||10AM - 4PM Mon. - Fri.|
Must schedule in advance.
More Information on Massachusetts State House Secretary of Commonwealth - State House Tours
|Notes||More Information via the Freedom Trail Foundation|
|Attribution||Content provided by the Freedom Trail Foundation.|