Filing a Claim

Procedures for filing a claim with the City of Boston.

If you incurred damages or injuries caused by roadway and sidewalk defects or potholes within city limits and are seeking a reimbursement or were involved in a collision with a vehicle owned or leased by the city, please follow the procedure outlined below.

Your claim must include the following items:

  1. Detailed Explanation of damages or injuries suffered.

  2. Exact Location of Incident

  3. Date of Incident

  4. City Vehcile Registration/Plate number (if applicable)

  5. A $15.00 Filing Fee paid via money order only payable to the City of Boston (as stipulated by City Ordinance Chapter 18-1.3, Section 15).
    City Ordinance Chapter 18-1.3, Section 15

Items that may be included with your claim:

  1. Itemized estimate of damages and/or receipts

  2. Copy of Police Report if applicable

  3. Pictures, color if posible

  4. Copy of medical bills for personal injuries

  5. If estimate of repairs is over $500, a second estimate may be required

Please Note:
  • All claims for sidewalk, roadway or pothole incidents MUST be filed within thirty (30) days of the date of the incident per the Statute of Limitations Law, MGL Chapter 84, Section 18.
    MA General Law Chapter 84, Section 18

  • All claims involving City-owned or leased vehicles or personal injuries MUST be filed within two (2) years of the date of the incident per the Statute of Limitations Law, MGL Chapter 258, Section 4.
    MA General Law Chapter 258, Section 4

  • The Office of the City Clerk will NOT process claims filed after the statute of limitation dates or without the $15.00 filing fee.

The City Clerk is ONLY responsible for the filing of your claim and has no further involvement once it is forwarded to the City's Law Department.

The City's Law Department requires sufficient time to complete an investigation of your claim. Compensation is paid only if the City of Boston is found liable. To preserve your rights, if the City does NOT pay your claim, you may pursue your matter in the appropriate state court within three (3) years from the date of the incident.

All subsequent inquiries about your claim must be directed to the City's Law Department at 617-635-4034.

Filing a Claim via City Hall to Go

Instead of going to City Hall, you can visit the City Hall to Go Truck in Your Neighborhood to file a claim.
View Schedule




    Monday - Friday: 9:00AM to 5:00PM


    Monday - Friday: 9:00AM-4:30PM

    *All public business transactions MUST be completed by 4:30PM before cashier closes.

  • New Daycare Business Requirement

    When registering a daycare business in the City of Boston, daycare providers are now required to provide a copy of a valid state issued daycare provider license.

  • Birth, Death & Marriage Certificates

    The Registry Division manages birth, death and marriage certificates for the City of Boston.
    More Information

Calendar »

Related Links