History of Boston City Council

From 1822-1909, the Boston City Council was comprised of two branches: the Board of Aldermen and the Common Council.  The Charter of 1909 abolished the City Council and the two branches thereof and established a City Council consisting of nine members elected at large.  Since 1983, the City Council consists of thirteen members, one each from nine districts and three at large.