How to Comply

In 2013, the City of Boston enacted the Building Energy Reporting and Disclosure Ordinance. This page outlines how building owners can comply with these requirements.

+Expand All Answers
Who's Covered?
Who's Responsible?
What are the Deadlines?

Whole-Building Energy Data

The utilities Eversource (formerly NSTAR), National Grid, and Veolia make whole-building energy use data available to building owners, so that owners will be able to obtain energy use data for their buildings without having to request data from individual tenants.

Eversource and National Grid

Each utility is providing data in an Excel file format that can be directly uploaded into Portfolio Manager.

Buildings with three or fewer tenants, or buildings where one tenant is responsible for over half of the energy use, will need to obtain approval from their tenants for getting whole-building electric or gas data. (Non-residential tenants are required to make this data available upon request). In some cases, a building may have 1-3 electric meters paid by the owner. Since Eversource's portal counts meter numbers as locations, these requests may be inadvertently flagged as needing tenant permission; owners of these buildings will need to verify their ownership of the meters by emailing with their account and meter numbers. The form below can be used for both Eversource and National Grid.

Some buildings may not have a common space meter that the data services can use to verifiy ownership. These buildings can use the form below.


Building owners can request their data by emailing

Boston Water and Sewer Commission

Water customers can access two years' of monthly consumption data at BWSC's Account Page

The How-To Guide: Instructions on Energy Reporting

The following guide provdes step-by-step instructions on complete and submitting the energy and water report.

How To Comply - User Guide 

ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager Help

Energy Star Portfolio Manager, a free energy tracking tool developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, is used to complete the reporting. EPA provides training and help with Portfolio Manager. For help on Portfolio Manager, email the helpdesk at

Energy Star Portfolio Manager
Energy Star Portfolio Manager Training and Help Page

Report Template Link

When all required data have been entered into Portfolio Manager, the link below will import the Boston-specific reporting template into a building owner’s Portfolio Manager account. This template will enable the owner to generate, preview, and submit the required report.

Boston Energy Reporting Template for Calendar Year 2014 Data

Supplemental Forms

In some cases, building owners may need information from tenants that they do not have accurate data for. The Environment Department has created forms that building owners can use for these requests. A printable PDF version of this form and a Word version that can be filled and saved electronically are provided below.

Additionally, a form is provided below for requesting an extension. Building owners with good cause can apply for a deadline extension by April 15.

Property Information Request Form (PDF)
Property Information Request Form (MS Word)
Request for an Extension