Boston Disability Commission Advisory Board
An advisory group of Boston residents who keep the City's Commission for Persons with Disabilities updated on issues of importance in the local disability community.
The Commission facilitates full and equal participation in all aspects of life by persons with disabilities in the City of Boston. They strive to reduce architectural, procedural, attitudinal, and communication barriers that affect persons with disabilities.
The Commission consists of nine members appointed by the Mayor. The majority of members are persons with disabilities. One of the members may be a member of the immediate family of a person with a disability. One member may be appointed as an official of the City of Boston and shall be an ex-officio member.
Detailed Commission Information
Commission Advisory Board meetings are open to the public. Everyone interested in issues affecting the disability community in the City of Boston is welcome to attend. Attendees are welcome and encouraged to bring their own concerns affecting the disability community to meetings. A section of the meeting agenda is reserved for public input. Meetings are televised live and streamed online with captioning.
When: Fourth (4th) Thursday of the month, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Where: Boston City Hall, 9th floor, Room 900 (BRA Board Room)
One City Hall Square, Boston, MA 02201
Advisory Board Meeting Dates
Meetings are broadcast live on Comcast channel 24, and RCN channel 13, as well as on the web.
The public is always welcome to attend advisory board meetings without prior notice. However, if a larger group would like to attend, we would request that they RSVP to the Commission for Persons with Disabilities at 617-635-3682 or firstname.lastname@example.org. It would assist us in arranging the meeting space.
- Successfully advocated for the appointment of a Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
- Planned with the City and AAB regarding streetscape improvements, including an accessible route across City Hall Plaza to be finished by November 2011.
- Reached agreement with the City on the repair of Huntington Avenue by installing a concrete path of travel over the next three years.
- Helped prioritize curb cut and sidewalk repairs throughout the city. Successfully advocated for a change of sidewalk crossing design on Forsyth Way in Fenway.
- Wrote letters and testified before the ZAB on applications for variances.
- Researched, wrote letters, and testified in favor of Department of Public Health regulation change to allow flexibility regarding central air-conditioning in apartment buildings.
- Consulted with Transportation Department on sidewalk surface materials and HP parking.
- Reached agreement with the City to no longer use City Hall paver bricks.
- Worked with the Hackney Division to ensure access to accessible cabs.
- Worked with the City and MBTA on snow clearance responsibilities.
- Advocated for the implementation of a citywide ADA transition plan.
Minutes, Agendas & Reports
2015 Meeting Minutes & Agendas
2014 Meeting Minutes & Agendas
2013 Meeting Minutes & Agendas
2012 Meeting Minutes & Agendas
2011 Meeting Minutes & Agendas
2010 Meeting Minutes