Hub Move Out Campaign Logo (150)

Reporting Unsafe Living Conditions and Absentee Landlords

As you pack your belongings and move out of your off-campus apartment, the City of Boston is asking for your assistance.
If while renting off-campus housing this year you experienced unsafe or unhealthy living conditions such as:

  • An unresponsive landlord;

  • Broken smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms;

  • Cockroaches or other bug infestations;

  • Rodent problems;

  • Mold;

  • Blocked exits; or

  • Inconsistent heating or air conditioning,

please report these conditions to the City. You can help the City of Boston hold neglectful landlords responsible.

How to File a Complaint

You can file a complaint by:

  • Tweet at us using #hubmoveout;

  • Calling the Mayor’s Hotline 24-hours a day at 617-635-4500; or

  • Using the Citizens Connect App, available on IPhone and Android.
    When using the app please note your information is public, unless you opt out.

By providing this information to the city, you help us target landlords who are not properly taking care of their property and endangering you and future renters. Help us to get them to clean up their acts.

Renting Resources for Students:
  • Tips (75)

    Rental Unit Delivery Conditions

    All tenants have the right to safe and sanitary rental units. Upon receiving your new rental unit, make sure it is up to delivery standards. If not, you have 48 hours to report to the City's Inspectional Services Department. Please note that all landlords must register their rental units with the City by August 31. Make sure your landlord has registered as you inspect your new rental unit.

    Rental Standards Checklist »

    Request Rental Unit Inspection »

    Rental Inspection Program »

Moving Resources

  • Are You Moving in Boston?

    Thinking of relocating to Boston or from one neighborhood to another? Get moving tips, secure permits, and more.

    Top Ten Tips for Moving to Boston