Resident Parking Permits for Rental Cars
Boston residents can now apply online and in person for a resident parking permit for a rental car.
- Boston residents will be required to supply the City with their personal contact information as well as a copy of the vehicle rental agreement to receive a permit.
- Rental vehicle permits are only valid for a maximum of 30 days.
- At this time, the new system is not available weekends and residents who pick up their vehicles after 3 PM will not be able to go online for a temporary permit.
- These residents are eligible to have "Resident Parking Only" tickets cancelled by forwarding a proof of residency at their Boston address and a copy of the vehicle rental agreement to the Office of the Parking Clerk.
Residents can fill out an online form for a rental car resident parking permit and fax it to the Office of the Parking Clerk.
- Submit Request Online
What You Need:
- Rental Information
Residents will need the rental car’s registration or plate number, make, and dates of rental. Residents will also need to identify if they have a current rental parking permit.
- Personal Information
Residents will enter their name and address as well as contact information.
Request for Rental Car Resident Parking Permit »
- Fax the Application and Rental Agreement
Residents will need to fax the application, along with proof of residency if they do not have a current resident parking permit, to the Office of the Parking Clerk at 617-635-2104 (fax). If faxed before the close of the business day, residents can expect to receive their permit on the same day. If faxed on or after the close of business, residents will receive their permit the next day. Once they receive the permit via email, residents should print and display the permit in the right passenger side rear window until either it expires or the vehicle is returned.
Please Note: In order to ensure that your request is processed as quickly as possible, please make sure that the fax with the rental agreement is legible (especially the plate number and dates of rental).
In PersonWhere to Go:
If you are faxing/emailing the permit, it should be submitted by close of business in order to get the permit on the same day. If sent after business hours, residents will get the permit the next business day. If residents are coming in person to City Hall, they can apply Monday through Friday, 9am to 4:30pm.
What You Need:
- Rental Agreement
Residents should bring the rental agreement for the vehicle they would like a permit for.
- Current Resident Parking Permit or Proof of Residency
It is not required of residents to have a current resident parking permit in order to receive one for a rental car. If a resident does have a current permit, they do not need to show proof of residency. However, if residents do not already have a resident parking permit, they must show proof of residency. Residents may use one of the following proofs of residency bearing their name and Boston address. Proof of residency must be current (postmarked or dated within the past 30 days).
- Gas, Electric, or Telephone Bill
- Cable Television Bill
- Monthly Bank Statement (excluding mortgage)
- Credit Card Bill
- Water and Sewer Bill
- Signed Apartment Lease
- Notarized / Signed Rental Agreement