Heat and smoke from fire can be more dangerous than the flames because fire produces poisonous gases that make you disoriented and drowsy.
For more information visit the Boston Fire Department fire prevention site
- Make sure windows are not nailed or painted shut.
- Teach family members to stay low to the floor when escaping from a fire.
- Smoke alarms are the first line of defense:
- Place smoke alarms on every level of your residence.
- Test and clean smoke alarms once a month and replace batteries at least once a year.
- Replace smoke alarms once every 10 years.