Winter Storm & Extreme Cold
Please visit the City's "Know Snow" website for more information regarding parking, snow removal, and information updates.
Winter Weather Advisory: Winter weather conditions are expected to cause significant inconveniences and may be hazardous. When caution is used, these situations should not be life threatening.
Winter Storm Watch: A winter storm is possible in your area. Tune in to NOAA Weather Radio, commercial radio, or television for more information.
Winter Storm Warning: A winter storm is occurring or will soon occur in your area.
Blizzard Warning: Sustained winds or frequent gusts to 35 miles per hour or greater and considerable amounts of falling or blowing snow (reducing visibility to less than a quarter mile) are expected to prevail for a period of three hours or longer.
NWS: National Weather Service.
More Terms from Ready.gov »
Winterize Your Home:
- Extend the life of your fuel supply at home by insulating walls and attics.
- Caulk and weather-strip your home doors and windows, install storm windows, and consider covering your windows with plastic.
- Outfit fireplaces with a tight-sealing damper and keep it closed when not in use. If a fireplace is used infrequently, use a chimney block to elimiate heat loss.
- Make sure kitchen and bathroom vent dampers close properly.
- Additional Home Safety Tips
Winterize Your Car:
- Battery and ignition system should be in top condition and battery terminals clean.
- Ensure antifreeze levels are sufficient to avoid freezing.
- Ensure the heater and defroster work properly.
- Check and repair windshield wiper equipment; ensure proper washer fluid level.
- Ensure the thermostat works properly.
- Check lights and flashing hazard lights for serviceability.
- Check for leaks and crimped pipes in the exhaust system; repair or replace as necessary. Carbon monoxide is deadly and usually gives no warning.
- Check brakes for wear and fluid levels.
- Check oil for level and weight. Heavier oils congeal more at low temperatures and do not lubricate as well.
- Consider snow tires, snow tires with studs, or chains.
- Replace fuel and air filters. Keep water out of the system by using additives and maintaining a full tank of gas.
- Additional Driving Tips
Guidelines for Action:
- Listen to your radio, television, or NOAA Weather Radio for weather reports and emergency information.
- Sign up for the City of Boston's Emergency Alert System Alert Boston.