For Immediate Release
April 23, 2013
For More Information Contact:
Mayor's Press Office
Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Governor Deval L. Patrick announced this afternoon that donations to the One Fund, which were pouring in from across Boston and around the world, had reached $20 million. They formally introduced Attorney Ken Feinberg as administrator of One Fund Boston as he outlined next steps for the fund.
“Boston is strong and made stronger by the outpouring of support,” Mayor Menino said at the announcement after he had visited with injured and their families. “Ken Feinberg will make sure this generosity makes it to victims as swiftly and responsibly as possible.”
“I want to express my gratitude to the individuals, businesses, and organization across Massachusetts – and throughout the world – that have given generously to the One Fund. This overwhelming support has meant so much to all who are in the process of healing from the events of last week,” Governor Patrick said. “I am particularly pleased that all of the money raised through the One Fund will go directly to benefit victims and their families to aid in their recovery. The entire Commonwealth stands with them as they move forward from this tragedy.”
One Fund Boston was established by the Mayor and Governor as a central depository for charitable contributions to benefit victims of the tragic April 15, 2013 Boston Marathon Bombings.
Well over 50,000 individuals have contributed $5 million, sending in checks and donating over the web at onefundboston.org. More than 60 corporate donors have committed a total of $15 million. So far, John Hancock, AT&T, Bain Capital, Partners Healthcare, New Balance, and Liberty Mutual have all pledged $1 million each to the fund. Dozens of companies have invited employees and customers to give as well.
Attorney Feinberg, a Brockton native, will design and administer One Fund Boston pro bono. He was previously appointed Special Master of the U.S. government's September 11th Victim Compensation Fund and as the administrator of the BP Deepwater Horizon Disaster Victim Compensation Fund.
“I am honored to serve in this capacity at the request of the Mayor and Governor,” Feinberg said. “The amount and pace of giving to this fund is unprecedented. It is important that available funds also be distributed as quickly as possible to eligible victims. I take on this responsibility knowing it will require a great deal of listening and compassion and understanding.”
Feinberg previewed how the fund could distribute money for victims and shared a timeline for making those determinations:
· A draft protocol is expected to be distributed during the week of May 6, with two town hall meetings to be scheduled to provide feedback on the drafts
· The final protocol and claim forms will be available on onefundboston.org by May 15
· Mailings will be sent out to potential claimants
· June 15 will be the deadline to register for benefits
· Claims will be reviewed by June 30, when payments will be distributed
The injured, their families, and the families of the deceased are asked to register with One Fund Boston so they can sign up for more information. The registration is on the web at onefundboston.org and, beginning at noon on April 24, toll-free at 1-855-617-FUND.