For Immediate Release
April 17, 2013
For More Information Contact:
Mayor's Press Office
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino today announced attorney Kenneth Feinberg, considered the world’s foremost expert on victim compensation, will act as Administrator of The One Fund Boston. Governor Patrick and Mayor Menino announced the formation of The One Fund Boston yesterday, as a fund to assist individuals affected by the tragic attacks of the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. Feinberg will design and administer the fund entirely pro bono. He will arrive in Boston on Friday to begin work and make further announcements regarding funds raised and administration infrastructure.
In 2001, Feinberg was appointed by the Attorney General of the United States to administer the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, and in 2010 was appointed by President Obama to administer the BP oil spill fund. Feinberg also designed and administered compensation funds following the tragic mass shootings in Aurora, Colo., and at Virginia Tech. A native of Brockton, Mass., Feinberg is a UMass-Amherst graduate and currently serves as Chairman of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation’s Board of Directors.
“I am grateful to Ken Feinberg for stepping in to administer The One Fund,” Governor Patrick said. “Ken has a long history of public service, especially in times of tragedy. He is a child of Massachusetts, and I know he will bring the personal connection of a native son to making sure that the victims of these senseless acts are supported as our Commonwealth begins to heal.”
“We are humbled by the outpouring of support we’ve received over the past few days. The world stands with the City of Boston during this difficult time,” Mayor Menino said. “As the donations pour in, we want to be sure The One Fund Boston is run as effectively as possible and maximizes benefits for those impacted by Monday’s tragic events. The Governor and I know that Ken is the best man for the job and have the utmost confidence in his ability to serve the individuals and families affected.”
“I am honored to serve at the request of both Governor Patrick and Mayor Menino. I will do my best to justify their confidence in me as we move forward to design and administer an effective program following the terrible tragedy in Boston,” Feinberg said.
The One Fund Boston will act as a central fund to support those impacted by Monday’s tragic events. More detailed program elements will be announced on Friday.
As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, more than $7 million had been committed to The One Fund by corporate partners and individual donors. More than 8,500 individual donors have made donations totaling $500,000 via OneFundBoston.org.
To contribute to The One Fund Boston, visit OneFundBoston.org.