For Immediate Release
May 02, 2014
For More Information Contact:
The annual Walk for Hunger will take place this year on Sunday, May 4, 2014, with an estimated 40,000 people expected to participate. Select streets in Downtown Boston will be closed for part of the day and temporary parking restrictions will be in place on both Saturday and Sunday to accommodate the event. Motorists are asked to drive with caution and to remain aware of the additional pedestrians using Boston’s streets on Sunday.
The walk will begin at 6 AM and is expected to end by 8 PM. Walkers will gather on the Boston Common at Charles Street and proceed along the following route through Boston. Beacon Street, left onto Arlington Street, right onto Commonwealth Avenue, under Massachusetts Avenue, through Kenmore Square, continuing on Beacon Street into the Town of Brookline, re-enter the City of Boston on Beacon Street at Ary Road in Brighton, continuing on Beacon Street into the City of Newton.
The return route on public sidewalks from the City of Cambridge will be Massachusetts Avenue, right onto Commonwealth Avenue inbound, right onto Commonwealth Avenue underpass roadway heading east, under Massachusetts Avenue to Commonwealth Avenue inbound to Commonwealth Avenue Mall, crossing Arlington Street to the Public Garden, through the Public Garden returning to the Boston Common.
The following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic on Sunday, May 4, 2014.
Charles Street, from Boylston Street to Beacon Street, 6 AM to 11 AM
Commonwealth Avenue, from Arlington Street to Kenmore Square, 6 AM to Noon.
“Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event Saturday and Sunday” temporary parking restrictions will be in place as follows.
- Charles Street, both sides, from Boylston Street to Beacon Street
- Beacon Street, Boston Common side, from Charles Street to opposite Walnut Street
In addition, “Tow Zone No Stopping Boston Police Special Event Sunday” parking restrictions will be in place as follows.
- Tremont Street, Boston Common side, from Park Street to Boylston Street
- Beacon Street, both sides, from Charles Street to Arlington Street
- Beacon Street, outbound, from Commonwealth Avenue (Kenmore Square) to Park Drive (Audubon Circle)
- Arlington Street, Public Garden side, from Beacon Street to Commonwealth Avenue.
- Beacon Street, Brighton, reservoir side, from Chestnut Hill Avenue westerly until meeting the existing Tow Zone No Stopping Anytime zone.
- Cassidy Playground Parking Area, both sides, between Beacon Street and Chestnut Hill Avenue, including all parking meters.
Walks for Hunger participants are advised to leave their private vehicles at home and take the MBTA into Boston. Information on MBTA service can be found at www.mbta.com. For a faster return trip, the MBTA advises riders to purchase a round trip rather than a one-way ticket.