For Immediate Release
June 27, 2013
For More Information Contact:
Mayor's Press Office
With the kick-off of summer programming set for July 8, Mayor Thomas M. Menino today reminded Boston families that the City of Boston and Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) have a wide variety of summer programs and activities across the city available to children and families.
“It’s so important to keep our young people active, engaged and on the right track in the summer months,” Mayor Menino said. “I hope everyone will take advantage of these great programs – whether it be dropping in on a community center, coming out for a block party, or registering for camp. It’s not too late to make great plans for the summer.”
Now in its seventh year, Boston R.O.C.K.S!!! (Recreational Opportunities for City Kids,) is a coordinated summer programming campaign aimed at connecting Boston youth with programs and activities. Led by BCYF, the signature programs for R.O.C.K.S!!! are free daily drop-in programs at 11 locations in Boston called “Boston R.O.C.K.S Out!!!” and family-friendly cookouts at different BCYF swimming pools each week sponsored by JetBlue called “Boston R.O.C.K.S the Block!!!” New this year are three “R.O.C.K. ‘n Block Parties” which build on the popular R.O.C.K.S the Block!!! adding more activities and food options. In addition to these programs, BCYF offers over 50 summer day camps, dozens of recreations programs and many special events. Many of these programs still have openings and the BCYF website, www.cityofboston.gov/bcyf, contains information about all these programs. Neighborhood R.O.C.K.S Out!!! sites and R.O.C.K.S the Block!!! dates and locations are listed below. Mark your calendars!
These programs are also listed with hundreds more at www.cityofboston.gov/summer. This website is a clearinghouse for all things summer in Boston. At this website, young people can find information about summer programs, events, jobs and volunteering, and much more. Families can find out about concerts, park activities and other fun things they can do in Boston during the summer.
Boston R.O.C.K.S Out!!! Daily Drop-in ProgramStarts July 8,Monday- Friday, 12-6 pm – FREE!
- BCYF Blackstone Community Center, 50 W. Brookline St. South End, 617-635-5162
- BCYF Clougherty Pool @ Doherty Park
- Bunker Hill St. Charlestown, 617-635-5173
- BCYF Flaherty Pool @ Healy Field, 160 Florence St. Roslindale, 617-635-5185
- BCYF Holland Community Center, 85 Olney St. Dorchester, 617-635-5144
- BCYF Jackson/Mann Community Center @ Ringer Pk., Gordon St. Allston, 617-635-5153
- BCYF Leahy-Holloran Community Center @ Garvey Pk., Neponset Ave. Dorchester, 617-635-5150
- BCYF Paris Street Community Center, 112 Paris St. East Boston, 617-635-5120
- BCYF Mildred Ave. Community Center, 5 Mildred Ave. Mattapan, 617-635-1328
- BCYF Roche Community Center @ Billings Field, LaGrange St. West Roxbury, 617-635-5066
- BCYF Shelburne Community Center, 730 Washington St. Roxbury, 617-635-5213
- BCYF Tobin Community Center @ Smith Field, Tremont St. Mission Hill, 617-635-5216.
R.O.C.K.S the Block!!!:
Free community block parties with swimming, music, family-friendly games, summer resources and a healthy cookout.
- Thursday, July 18, 5-7pm, BCYF Mildred Ave. Community Center, 5 Mildred Ave., Mattapan
- Thursday, July 25, 5-7pm, BCYF Clougherty Pool, Bunker Hill St., Charlestown
- Thursday, August 1, 5-7pm, BCYF Curtis Hall Community Center, 20 South St., Jamaica Plain
- Sunday, August 4, 1-3pm, BCYF Mirabella Pool, 475 Commercial St., North End.
R.O.C.K. ‘N Block Party!!!
The new R.O.C.K. ‘N Block Parties build on our popular R.O.C.K. the Block events, and bring free neighborhood fun to your block with swimming, music, interactive games, hands-on activities, food trucks, live entertainment and much more!!
- Tuesday, July 9, 5:30-7:30pm, BCYF Flaherty Pool Reopening! 160 Florence St., Roslindale
- Saturday, July 27, 1-3pm BCYF Holland Community Center, 85 Olney St., Dorchester
- Thursday, August 15, 5-7pm, BCYF Paris Street Community Center, 112 Paris St., East Boston.