For Immediate Release
August 21, 2014
For More Information Contact:
The annual Caribbean Carnival and Parade will take place in the City of Boston on Saturday, August 23rd. Street closures and parking restrictions will be in effect in the area of the celebration and traffic delays should be expected. Those coming into the City to attend the event are encouraged to leave their private vehicles at home and take the MBTA. Information on service may be found at www.MBTA.com. For a faster return trip, the MBTA advises riders to purchase a round-trip rather than a one-way ticket.
The Carnival will include two parades. The Jouvert Parade will step off at 5:30 AM on Blue Hill Avenue at Morton Street, and will proceed up Blue Hill Avenue to the Circuit Drive entrance (Peabody Circle) to Franklin Park. The Carnival Parade will begin at 1:00 PM on Warren Street at Martin Luther King Boulevard and will proceed on Warren Street to Blue Hill Avenue ending on Blue Hill Avenue at the Circuit Drive entrance (Peabody Circle) to Franklin Park.
The following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic from approximately 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Blue Hill Avenue, from Warren Street to Glenway Street
- Warren Street, Martin Luther King Boulevard to Blue Hill Avenue
Temporary "Tow Zone No Stopping Saturday" signs will be posted at the following locations to accommodate this event.
- American Legion Highway, median island, for both directions of travel, from Blue Hill Avenue to Canterbury Street
- Blue Hill Avenue, east side (inbound side), from Morton Street to American Legion Highway, and both sides, from American Legion Highway to Warren Street
- Dale Street, both sides, from Walnut Avenue to the driveways near and opposite #56 Dale Street, and both sides, from Sherman Street to Warren Street
- Columbia Road, both sides, from Blue Hill Avenue to Seaver Street
- Glenway Street, both sides, from Blue Hill Avenue past Old Road to #11 Glenway Street
- Glenway Street School Yard, along the fence abutting Glenway Street facing vehicles in the lot, for EMS use only.
- Martin Luther King Boulevard, both sides, from Warren Street to Washington Street
- Old Road, both sides, from Glenway Street to Columbia Road
- Seaver Street, both sides, from Blue Hill Avenue to a point 300 feet westerly, at approximately #280
- Warren Street, both sides, from Martin Luther King Boulevard to Blue Hill Avenue
- Circuit Drive, both sides, from Blue Hill Avenue to Morton Street
- Walnut Avenue, Franklin Park side, from Seaver Street to Sigourney Street
- Sigourney Street, Franklin Park side, from Walnut Avenue to Glen Road
The Boston Transportation Department asks drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians alike to obey the rules of the road and to be considerate of others traveling on the city’s local streets.