Site CleanlinessIn 1999 Mayor Menino proposed the Site Cleanliness Ordinance as a way of dealing with the overflow of all dumpsters, wind-blown litter and rodent activity that occurs as a result of poor refuse maintenance practices. The ultimate goal is to encourage and establish clear property management standards which will positively impact the quality of life in our neighborhoods. The ordinance requires business and residential properties to apply for and secure a Site Cleanliness License from the Inspectional Services Department.
Applicability: Applicable to every bulk refuse container (dumpster) or grease trap whether commercial or residential (not limited to food and beverage establishments) all automotive establishments; and all bulk refuse container storage lots.
Requirements: Fee is $50.00 and can be obtained either through:
- Downloading the application (PDF) and mailing it in; or
- Applying in person at the Boston Inspectional Services Department at 1010 Massachusetts Avenue, 4th floor, ESD.
- A site plan indicating the location of the dumpster and its proximity to abutting properties or public ways;
- the location of any required fencing or screening;
- A maintenance plan and schedule;
- A solid waste proposal plan including a copy of the solid waste disposal contract;
- A rodent/pest control contract;
- If dumpster is on a public way, a license from DPW is required.
Enforcement: The Enivornmental Sanitation Division of Boston Inspectional Services and the Code Enforcement Police.
Penalty: Fines of up to $1000.00 per day and/or closure of the business for repeated violations. Fines issued only after third notice of violation so the first two notices can be used to educate people on proper compliance.
Reports, Publications & Links