Guide to Food Truck Permitting

To vend in the City of Boston, you need to apply and pay for a Mobile Food Truck Permit. The cost of the permit is $500. It is issued by the Department of Public Works and valid for one year.

Minimum Requirements

The following components are required at the time of application.

New Vendors

Are you a new vendor? Use the Food Truck Legal Toolkit for help.


Once your application is submitted, you can determine which locations you would like to vend on. To vend on public sites in the City of Boston, your site selection occurs via a lottery system.

Once your application is approved and your public site selection confirmed, you can pick up and pay for your permit and site license from the Department of Public Works. Please allow up to 2 weeks for your permit and site license to be ready.

To vend on a private property, you will need to apply for a use-of-premise permit. Other “special” sites are available for vending, but they have their own application procedures.

Submit Your Completed Application for Review 

Once you have ALL the above materials, you must submit them along with a completed Food Truck Permit Application to:

Office of Food Initiatives,

Cost: $500 (Annual Fee)


  • Info Session for New Vendors

    The Office of Food Initiatives will be hosting info sessions for new vendors in February, May, August, and November in the Boston City Hall in the BRA Boardroom (9th Floor) starting at 4:00 PM. We will provide a thorough overview of the Mobile Food Truck Program and provide an opportunity for asking specific questions.

    View All Info Sessions

    RSVP Now

  • Want more food trucks in your area?

    Now you can suggest a new food truck location in Boston with our Food Truck Suggest-a-Site map.

    Suggest a Site