In 2008, Mayor Thomas M. Menino issued an Executive Order to expand the City of Boston's efforts by:
- Demonstrating that environmentally friendly practices improve public health and the workplace environment;
- Mitigating the effects of climate change; and
- Saving taxpayer resources by increasing efficiency
The Executive Order outlines four key changes:
- Instituted a new green cleaning policy for City-owned buildings to ensure a healthy, safe, and clean environment for employees and constituents.
- Created new environmentally preferable procurement guidelines for City purchases which will help conserve natural resources, minimize pollution, and reduce materials going in to landfills.
- Expanded recycling program instituted in all municipal buildings to increase paper recycling and now also incorporates cardboard, plastic, and metal collection.
- Encouraged the development of a new green information technology roadmap to reduce energy use and support efficiency efforts throughout the City.