City of Boston
Auditing Department
Transferring Expenditures
Expenditure transfers may take place between any combination of chartfield strings, and be for reasons such as incorrectly charged Fringe, Payroll expenditures or Goods and Services expenditures.

To transfer funds in any of these situations, it is necessary to take the following steps:
  1. Ensure funds are available in the Project/Grant that is to be debited

  2. Submit a completed Request for Transfer of Expenditure Form reflecting the transfers. A Request for Transfer of Expenditure Form Instructions and Request for Transfer of Expenditure Form Example are provided for your assistance in completing this form.

  3. Gather and prepare documentation/back-up that demonstrates:
    1. The original expense was incurred and paid for, i.e., a receipt and proof of payment from BAIS, including Chartfields to which it was charged
    2. The expense is allowable under the account to be debited (charged)

  4. Submit all forms and back up materials as follows:
    1. If the transfer involves the a transfer from/to the General Fund:
      1. send the paperwork to your Budget Analyst in the Office of Budget Management
    2. If the transfer involves Grant funds:
      1. send the paperwork to Auditing/Grants Monitoring Unit

Related Links
Get Adobe Reader
Many forms are available in PDF format. To view and print in PDF format, you must download and install the reader.

Get Adobe Reader
Text Size: XX-Small Font Size X-Small Font Size Small Font Size

Privacy & Security Divider © 2015 City of Boston. All rights reserved.