Auditing DepartmentGrant/Special Revenue Application & Review Process
Once potential funding sources have been identified, the next step is the Application and Review process, which consists of the four steps below. (See the Grant/Special Revenue Application and Review Flowchart for a schematic overview).
- Grant/Special Revenue Application Preparation
Grant/Special Revenue Application Preparation should be completed in accordance with the Grant/Special Revenue Application Guidelines or Instructions provided by the Grantor. In general, Grant/Special Revenue applications require detailed plans and goals, including specific outcomes, and a budget, along with supporting documentation showing the departmental capacity to achieve the stated goals. Assistance with completing Grant/Special Revenue Applications is available from the Office of Intergovernmental Relations (IGR) at 617-635-3817.
- Creation and Submittal of the Grant/Special Revenue Application Packet
Prior to submitting a Grant/Special Revenue Application to a Grantor for consideration, it is required that the application be reviewed internally. The review process is coordinated centrally by Auditing/Grants Monitoring. For the review to occur, it is necessary to compile and submit a Grant/Special Revenue Application Packet to the Auditing Department at least 30 days prior to the deadline for submission to the Grantor. The Grant/Special Revenue Application Packet consists of the following items:
Grant/Special Revenue Application Packet Cover Sheet
- A copy of the Grant/Special Revenue Application Instructions/Guidelines, as supplied by the Grantor/Pass Through Agency
- The original, completed, signed Grant/Special Revenue Application
- All attachments, back-up documentation, or amendments to be submitted to the Grantor in support of the Application
Grant/Special Revenue Application Abstract
- A printed copy of the Letter of Request for City Council Order to Expend and City Council Order Draft, as detailed in Documentation to Request a City Council Order to Expend. Maintain an electronic copy for future use.
- Draft of Mayoral Support Letter if applicable
Note: Requests for Boston Public School Department Accept and Expend Orders are authorized by the Boston Public School Committee, not the City Council.
- Grant/Special Revenue Application Packet Cover Sheet
- Grant/Special Revenue Application Packet Review
The review is conducted by three Central Administrative Departments:
- Auditing/Grants Monitoring reviews for overall completeness of the application, and the calculation of fringe/indirect rates and in-kind considerations. Auditing/Grants
Monitoring will also initially log the Grant/Special Revenue Application on the
Grant/Special Revenue Tracking with status of "Proposed" and complete Tracking date fields as appropriate.
- The Office of Intergovernmental Relations reviews the application for tracking and advocacy purposes.
- The Office of Budget Management reviews not only for short term impacts on the Sponsoring Department's budget, but also any potential long term ramifications for the Department or the City.
- Provisionally Approved, if all aspects are in order,
- Follow Up Required, if modifications are needed, or,
- Denied, for reasons given.
Notification will be via the Grant/Special Revenue Application Packet Cover Sheet .
- Auditing/Grants Monitoring reviews for overall completeness of the application, and the calculation of fringe/indirect rates and in-kind considerations. Auditing/Grants Monitoring will also initially log the Grant/Special Revenue Application on the Grant/Special Revenue Tracking with status of "Proposed" and complete Tracking date fields as appropriate.
- Grant/Special Revenue Revision and Submission
If the application is returned from the Auditing Department requiring follow up, the Sponsoring Department must update the application in line with the notations provided, and resubmit the entire application again to Auditing/Grants Monitoring with the original Grant/Special Revenue Application and Review Cover Sheet attached. Second reviews, and any subsequent reviews until the application is provisionally approved, will be made within 2 business days.
Once provisionally approved, the Application will be returned to the Department and Auditing/Grants Monitoring will update the status on the Grant/Special Revenue Tracking to "In Process" and will complete Tracking Dates as appropriate.
After, and only after, the application has been provisionally approved by the Auditing Department, may the application be submitted to the Grantor organization.
Once an application is submitted to the Grantor, the Grantor will review all applications and the recipients will be determined. If the Department is chosen to be a recipient, they will receive a Notification of
Grant/Special Revenue Award, which is the first step in the next area of
Grant/Special Revenue Management process,
Grant/Special Revenue Establishment.