The Soldiers’ Relief Department was created as a department of the City of Boston by Chapter 441 of the Acts of 1897, and was under the charge of a commissioner appointed by the Mayor. The Commissioner had the responsibility of distributing State and City aid to soldiers in the City of Boston, powers which had previously been vested in the Mayor and the Board of Alderman.
The Department of Veterans’ Services was established by Chapter 9 of the Ordinances of 1946 (Revised Ordinance 1947, Chapter 37). It was headed by a Director who was also the Soldiers’ Relief Commissioner and who was appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. The Department took over the powers and duties formerly vested in the Soldiers’ Relief Department. Aside from the distribution of funds the Department maintained an office to provide information, advice and assistance to veterans of all wars to enable them to procure the benefits to which they were entitled relative to employment, vocational and educational opportunities, hospitalization, medical care, pensions and other veterans’ benefits.
The Veterans’ Services Department was established by Section 66 of Chapter 2 of the Ordinances of 1954. It replaced the Department of Veterans’ Services and is headed by a Commissioner appointed by the Mayor. The department is responsible for the distribution of aid and providing information as well as marking graves through the Graves Registration Division.
6410 Soldiers' Relief Department
6410.001 Disbursements 1861-1898 130 volumes
Scope and Contents note
Monthly payments of allowances of State Aid to disabled soldiers and sailors, and to the families of those killed in the civil war were made by the City Treasurer at the Charity Building to persons designated by the Board of Aldermen. The Soldiers' Relief Department took over this responsibility in 1897. Includes records of disbursements of state aid from 1861-1898.