The City's printing plant was established in March of 1897 for the express purpose of executing the printing required by all city and county departments. The plant was located at the corner of North and Richmond Streets in a city-owned building for the exclusive use of the department. The Printing Department was abolished by section 13 of chapter 8 of the ordinances of 1953 and the printing operations of the city were taken over by the newly created Adminstrative Services Department. The City's printing plant on North Street was closed in June of 2010.
3100.003 Annual reports and publications 19 volumes
Scope and contents note
Includes annual reports of the Printing Department for the years 1898-1900, 1902, 1904-1905, 1909, 1924-1928, and 1938-1939; Type Specimen Book, 1911 and circa 1980; "The Value of Time: a little article addressed to the employees of the City of Boston Printing Department", 1926; "Chapel Rules", 1948; and "Constitution and By-Laws Boston Typographical Union", 1976. Annual reports can also be found in the City Documents series.
3100.006 Artifacts 1 box
Scope and Contents note
A sampling of printing plates and seals used by the City of Boston Printing Department.