Archives Guide ~ Property and Construction Management (4300)

Historical note

By Chapter 6 of the Ordinances of 1994, pursuant to St. 1953, c. 473, the Alterations and Repair Unit within the Construction and Repair Division of the Public Facilities Department, and the functions and duties of the Enforcement and Communications programs were transferred to the Real Property Department. The Real Property Department was renamed the Property Management Department by section 3 of this ordinance. The responsibilities of the Property & Construction Management Department includes: management, maintenance, security, and repair of the City's municipal buildings including City Hall, Faneuil Hall, and the Old State House; facility layout and space planning analysis for City departments, building security, events management, and the coordination of capital improvement projects for properties within its jurisdiction; and administration of the Animal Control unit that enforces regulations pertaining to the public safety of both residents and animals.



4300.001 Project files 1967-2002 805 record cartons and 4 document cases

Scope and Contents note
Project files of construction, alteration and renovation projects managed by the Public Facilities Department (Property Management)/Capital Construction of city-owned buildings including schools, libraries, fire stations, police stations, municipal buildings, and Boston City Hospital. Records include contracts, plans, correspondence, memoranda, and photographs.



4310 Real Property Department

Historical note
The Real Property Department had the powers and performed the duties conferred or imposed on the Board of Real Estate Commissioners by St. 1943, c. 434, as amended, and by St. 1946, c. 474, as amended, and also had the powers and performed the duties conferred or imposed by statute on the Board of Street Commissioners in relation to the abatement of taxes.

By Section 43 of Chapter 2 of the Ordinances of 1954, the Public Buildings Department was abolished and the powers, duties and appropriations of the superintendent of Public Buildings with respect to the appointment, suspension, discharge, compensation and indemnification of subordinates were transferred to the Commissioner of Real Property, and all other powers, duties and appropriations of the Public Buildings Department were transferred to the Assistant Commissioner of Real Property.

The Real Property Department was responsible for the management, maintenance and repair of many of the City’s municipal buildings including City Hall, Faneuil Hall and the Old State House. The Department maintained and managed tax-foreclosed buildings and land up to the point of disposition. It also repaired, developed, maintained and managed neighborhood municipal parking facilities and downtown revenue producing parking facilities.

The department was also responsible for space planning and analysis for City departments, security, events management, centralized telephone services and the coordination of capital improvement programs within its jurisdiction.

By Chapter 6 of the Ordinances of 1994, pursuant to St. 1953, c. 473, the powers and duties of the Real Property Department’s Property Division, created by the Real Property Board under the authority of St. 1943, c. 434 were transferred to the Public Facilities Department, provided that the powers conferred by St. 1946, c. 474 and the functions related to public off-street parking facilities were retained within the Real Property Board.

By Chapter 6 of the Ordinances of 1994, pursuant to St. 1953, c. 473, the Alterations and Repair Unit within the Construction and Repair Division of the Public Facilities Department, and the functions and duties of the Enforcement and Communications programs were transferred to the Real Property Department. The Real Property Department was renamed the Property Management Department by section 3 of this ordinance.


4310.001 Proceedings 1950-1988 with gaps 7 volumes, 19 folders

Scope and Contents note
Includes minutes of the Board of Real Estate Commissioners, 1950 January 2-1951 December 19; minutes of the Committee on Foreclosed Real Estate, 1954-1962, 1964; and minutes of the meetings of the Real Property Board, 1956-1960, 1962 and 1973-1988.



4310.002 Project files 1956-1959 15 folders

Scope and Contents note
Project files of mainly parking facilities. Projects include: Hayward Place, Copley Square, East Boston, Fort Hill Square, Central-Kilby Streets, Kingston-Bedford Streets, Columbia Streets and Lincoln-Essex. Also includes Houghton Dutton Building.



4310.003 Publications 1952, 1956, 1970 3 volumes

Scope and Contents note
Includes copies of "City-owned Real Estate Listings to be sold at Public Auction," 1952, 1956 and 1970.



4320 Public Buildings Department

Historical note
The Office of the Superintendent of Public Buildings was established by ordinance on July 1, 1850. Annual reports were first published in 1851. The Superintendent had the supervision of the care, repair and furnishing of all buildings belonging to or hired by the City. By Chapter 78 of the Acts of 1943, adopted by the City Council and approved by the Mayor, the Market Department, as such, was abolished and placed under the jurisdiction of the Public Buildings Department. By Chapter 2, section 43 of the Ordinances of 1954, the Public Buildings Department was abolished and the powers and duties of the department were transferred to the Real Property Department.


4320.001 Applications to use Faneuil Hall 1905, 1910-1914 4 folders

Scope and Contents note
Withdrawn and canceled applications to use Faneuil Hall.



4320.002 Faneuil Hall and Curtis Hall register 1905-1914 1 volume

Scope and Contents note
Register documenting use of Faneuil Hall and Curtis Hall. Includes date, for whom, engaged by, for what purpose and amount paid.



4320.003 Correspondence 1902 December 19-1904 October 18 1 volume

Scope and Contents note
One letter-copy volume of outgoing correspondence of the Superintendent of Public Buildings.


4320.004 Contracts 1921-1925 10 volumes

Scope and Contents note
Includes miscellaneous copies of contracts of the Public Buildings Department. Includes contracts for West Roxbury Branch Library; Restoration of Faneuil Hall; Hyde Park Police Station; Overseers of the Public Welfare and Temporary Home; Dorchester Court House, etc.



4321 Architectural Division

Historical note
The Architectural Division was detached, by order of the Mayor, from the Public Buildings Department on January 13, 1898, and placed under the Engineering Department. The work of the division was that of a consulting or expert force. The division could be called upon by any department for technical advice on matters relating to building, heating or ventilating. Plans or specifications for work to be done, in certain cases, by the Repairs Division of the Public Buildings Department were prepared by this division, which was also charged with a general supervision of work done by the Repairs Division of the Buildings Department. The Architectural Division was detached by order of Mayor Hart, from the Engineering Department, May 11, 1900, and placed under the Public Buildings Department.


4321.001 Correspondence 1897 November 3-1901 January 11 3 volumes

Scope and Contents note
Three letter-copy volumes of outgoing correspondence of the Engineering Department - Architectural Division and the Public Buildings Department.



4321.002 Index to plans undated 1 volume

Scope and Contents note
Obsolete index to plans of city buildings stored in the basement of the Probate Building (Architectural Division store room).