Archives Guide ~ Boston Redevelopment Authority (4010)

Historical note

The Boston Redevelopment Authority, established in accordance with General Laws, Chapter 121B, has the sole responsibility for urban renewal activities in the City of Boston. The Authority was organized in September, 1957 and received its certificate of organization from the Secretary of the Commonwealth on October 4, 1957. Chapter 652 of the Acts of 1960 abolished the City Planning Board and transferred its powers to the BRA. The functions, duties, and responsibilities for general city planning and development were merged into one agency. In 1993, Mayor Thomas M. Menino merged the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the Economic Development and Industrial Corporation into a single citywide development agency.



4010.001 Photographs circa 1958-1985 7 record cartons, 6 document cases, 6 photograph boxes and 1 file cabinet

Scope and Contents note
Photographs and negatives documenting urban renewal projects, circa 1958-1985. Includes photographs from the West End, Government Center, South Cove, Central Business District, Charlestown and other urban renewal projects.


4010.002 Annual reports and publications 1959-2004 16 record cartons and 6 pamphlet boxes

Scope and Contents note
Includes annual reports and other publications produced by the Boston Redevelopment Authority.