Old Corner Bookstore

Former Site of the Old Corner Bookstore

Many famous books were published here, including The Scarlet Letter, Walden, and the Atlantic Monthly magazine.

The Bookstore was built in 1712 as an apothecary shop, office and home of Thomas Crease. The outspoken Anne Hutchinson, who was exiled from the Bay State, owned the store before it was given to Timothy Harrington who turned it into a bookstore. 

The Old Corner Bookstore is one of Boston's oldest surviving structures.

Site Information
LocationCorner of School and Washington Streets
HoursOpen Daily
ToursSelf-Guided; or provided by the Freedom Trail Foundation
NotesMore Information via the Freedom Trail Foundation
AttributionContent provided by the Freedom Trail Foundation

Video & Multimedia

  • Exploring the Freedom Trail

    Click through an interactive map of historic stops along the Freedom Trail.

    Freedom Trail Story Map

Related Links